Douglas Duane Rhoads
Director of Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in Cell and Molecular Biology
J. William Fulbright College of Arts & Sciences
Dept. of Biological Sciences
The University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR 72701
Molecular genetics and genomics in eukaryotes- modes of gene regulation, structure and evolution; growth regulation and developmental gene expression programs animals. Genetic improvement in poultry and transgenics. Genetics and biology of pathogenic Candida species.
Current Research Efforts:
Bacterial Chondronecrosis with Osteomyelitis leading to Lameness: We are investigating the epidemiology and progression of bacterial infections of the growth plate in growing broiler chickens that lead to BCO lameness in chickens. We use a wire flooring system developed by Dr. Robert Wideman (Department of Poultry Science) to induce lameness, and have demonstrated that the primary bacterial species involved is Staphylococcus agnetis. We have fully sequenced, annotated, and assembled the genome along with bioinformaticians in the AHPCC and at Oklahoma State. Our current work is to understand the mode of transmission, and colonization so that effective preventative measures can be employed. We are collaborating with Drs. Kwon, Dridi, and Koltes (Department of Poultry Science) to understand the role of the gut microbiome and epithelium in susceptibility to BCO lameness.
Genetics of ascites susceptibility in the chicken: We are working with Drs. Nicholas Anthony, and Byung Whi Kong (Department of Poultry Science) on the genetics of ascites (a type of Pulmonary Hypertension Syndrome, PHS) in the chicken. We used SNP based GWAS to identify chromosomal regions associated with ascites susceptibility. We are pursuing these regions for identification of the genes responsible for the disease. This joint project is also developing the chicken as a model for PHS in humans.
Genetic analysis of male fertility in the chicken: With Dr. David P. Froman (Oregon State University), we are using a variety of techniques (GWAS, SNP genotyping, proteomics, primordial germ cell culture) to examine testis developmental gene regulation as well as mapping genetic defects in testicular development in the chicken. We are pursuing the genetics and epigenetics that are associated with poor sperm mobility, a major determinant of low fertility in broiler breeders.
Molecular genetic analysis of populations for species at risk: With Dr. Steven Beaupré, we used microsatellite loci to estimate population diversity, gene flow, and multiple paternity, in populations of Crotalus horridus (Timber Rattlesnakes) in the Southeastern United States. We are also assembling a draft of the rattlesnake genome from NextGen sequence data. Both of these projects impact conservation plans for wildlife management.
Scorpion genomics: Together with Dr. Tsunemi Yamashita (Arkansas Tech University) we are assembling a draft genome of a scorpion species endemic to the south central United States. We will be examining genomic structure and diversity of toxin genes.
Taught: Cytology, Biochemical Genetics, Cell Biology, General Biology, Principles of Biology, Lab Techniques in Microbiology, Microbial Genetics, Cell Physiology, Genomics and Bioinformatics.
Current: Genomics and Bioinformatics
B.A.- May 1977; Wichita State University
M.S.- December 1981; Wichita State University
Ph.D.- August 1986; Kansas State University
- Albalawi TA, D Rhoads, and R Barabote Draft genome sequence of Anoxybacillus sp. strain UARK-01, a new thermophilic lignin-utilizing bacterium isolated from soil in Arkansas, USA. Genome Announcements.
- Tarrant KJ, S Dey, R. Kinney R, NB Anthony and DD Rhoads. 2016. Multi-generational genome wide association studies identify chromosomal regions associated with ascites phenotype. Poultry Science.
- Emami N.K., A. Golian, D.D. Rhoads, M.D. Mesgaran. 2016. Nutritional and physiological responses to dietary supplementation of arginine and guanidinoacetic acid in broiler chickens reared under normal or subnormal ambient temperature. British Journal of Poultry Science
- Emami N.K., A. Golian, M.D. Mesgaran, N.B. Anthony, D.D. Rhoads. 2016. Mitochondrial biogenesis and PGC1α gene expression in male broilers from ascites susceptible and resistant lines. Journal of Animal Physiology and Animal Nutrition
- Emami N.K., A. Golian, D.D. Rhoads, M.D. Mesgaran. 2017. Nutritional and physiological responses to dietary supplementation of arginine and guanidinoacetic acid in broiler chickens reared under normal or subnormal ambient temperature. British Journal of Poultry Science 1-8. doi:10.1080/00071668.2016.1257779
- Dey S., S. Krishna, N.B. Anthony, D.D. Rhoads. 2017. Further investigation of a quantitative trait locus for ascites on chromosome 9 in broiler chicken lines. Poultry Science 96:788–797. DOI:10.3382/ps/pew380
- Al-Rubaye A.A.K., N.S. Ekesi, S. Zaki, N.K. Emami, R.F. Wideman Jr, D.D. Rhoads. 2017. Chondronecrosis with Osteomyelitis in Broilers: Further Defining a Bacterial Challenge Model Using the Wire Flooring Model. Poultry Science 96:332–340. doi: 10.3382/ps/pew299
- Lind CM, B. Flack, D.D. Rhoads, and S.J. Beaupre. (2016) The mating system and reproductive life history of female Timber Rattlesnakes in northwestern Arkansas. Copeia 2016(2):518-528
- Al-Rubaye, A.A.K., M.B. Couger, S. Ojha, J.F. Pummilll, J.A. Koon II, R.F. Wideman, and D.D. Rhoads (2015). Genome analysis of Staphylococcus agnetis, an agent of lameness in broiler chickens. PLoS One 10(11): e0143336.
- Schmid, M., J. Smith, D. W. Burt, B. L. Aken, P. B. Antin, A. L. Archibald, C. Ashwell, P. J. Blackshear, C. Boschiero, C. T. Brown, S. C. Burgess, H. H. Cheng, W. Chow, D. J. Coble, A. Cooksey, R. P. M. A. Crooijmans, J. Damas, R. V. N. Davis, D. J. de Koning, M. E. Delany, T. Derrien, T. T. Desta, I. C. Dunn, M. Dunn, H. Ellegren, L. Eöry, I. Erb, M. Farré, M. Fasold, D. Fleming, P. Flicek, K. E. Fowler, L. Frésard, D. P. Froman, V. Garceau, P. P. Gardner, A. A. Gheyas, D. K. Griffin, M. A. M. Groenen, T. Haaf, O. Hanotte, A. Hart, J. Häsler, S. B. Hedges, J. Hertel, K. Howe, A. Hubbard, D. A. Hume, P. Kaiser, D. Kedra, S. J. Kemp, C. Klopp, K. E. Kniel, R. Kuo, S. Lagarrigue, S. J. Lamont, D. M. Larkin, R. A. Lawal, S. M. Markland, F. McCarthy, H. A. McCormack, M. C. McPherson, A. Motegi, S. A. Muljo, A. Münsterberg, R. Nag, I. Nanda, M. Neuberger, A. Nitsche, C. Notredame, H. Noyes, R. O''Connor, E. A. O''Hare, A. J. Oler, S. C. Ommeh, H. Pais, M. Persia, F. Pitel, L. Preeyanon, P. Prieto Barja, E. M. Pritchett, D. D. Rhoads, C. M. Robinson, M. N. Romanov, M. Rothschild, P. F. Roux, C. J. Schmidt, A. S. Schneider, M. Schwartz, S. M. Searle, M. A. Skinner, C. A. Smith, P. F. Stadler, T. E. Steeves, C. Steinlein, L. Sun, M. Takata, I. Ulitsky, Q. Wang, Y. Wang, W. C. Warren, J. M. D. Wood, D. Wragg and H. Zhou (2015). "Third Report on Chicken Genes and Chromosomes 2015." Cytogenetic and Genome Research 145(2): 79-180.
- Zhang, G., C. Li, Q. Li, B. Li, D. M. Larkin, C. Lee, J. F. Storz, A. Antunes, M. J. Greenwold, R. W. Meredith, A. Ödeen, J. Cui, Q. Zhou, L. Xu, H. Pan, Z. Wang, L. Jin, P. Zhang, H. Hu, W. Yang, J. Hu, J. Xiao, Z. Yang, Y. Liu, Q. Xie, H. Yu, J. Lian, P. Wen, F. Zhang, H. Li, Y. Zeng, Z. Xiong, S. Liu, L. Zhou, Z. Huang, N. An, J. Wang, Q. Zheng, Y. Xiong, G. Wang, B. Wang, J. Wang, Y. Fan, R. R. da Fonseca, A. Alfaro-Núñez, M. Schubert, L. Orlando, T. Mourier, J. T. Howard, G. Ganapathy, A. Pfenning, O. Whitney, M. V. Rivas, E. Hara, J. Smith, M. Farré, J. Narayan, G. Slavov, M. N. Romanov, R. Borges, J. P. Machado, I. Khan, M. S. Springer, J. Gatesy, F. G. Hoffmann, J. C. Opazo, O. Håstad, R. H. Sawyer, H. Kim, K.-W. Kim, H. J. Kim, S. Cho, N. Li, Y. Huang, M. W. Bruford, X. Zhan, A. Dixon, M. F. Bertelsen, E. Derryberry, W. Warren, R. K. Wilson, S. Li, D. A. Ray, R. E. Green, S. J. O’Brien, D. Griffin, W. E. Johnson, D. Haussler, O. A. Ryder, E. Willerslev, G. R. Graves, P. Alström, J. Fjeldså, D. P. Mindell, S. V. Edwards, E. L. Braun, C. Rahbek, D. W. Burt, P. Houde, Y. Zhang, H. Yang, J. Wang, A. G. Consortium*, E. D. Jarvis, M. T. P. Gilbert, and J. Wang. 2014. Comparative genomics reveals insights into avian genome evolution and adaptation. Science 346:1311-1320. doi 10.1126/science.1251385. *-D. Rhoads is one of 19 members of the Avian Genome Consortium
- S. Krishnamoorthy, C. Smith, A. Al-Rubaye, R. F. Wideman, G. F. Erf, N. B. Anthony and D. D. Rhoads. (2014) A QTL for Ascites on Chromosome 9 in Broiler Chicken Lines. Poultry Science 93:307–317.
- T. Yamashita, and D. D. Rhoads. 2013. Species Delimitation and Morphological Divergence in the Scorpion Centruroides vittatus (Say, 1821): Insights from Phylogeography. PloS ONE 8, e68282.
- R. F. Wideman, D. D. Rhoads, G. F. Erf, and N. B. Anthony. (2013) Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (PAH, Ascites Syndrome) in Broilers: A Review. Poultry Science 92: 64-83.
- D.P. Froman, and D. D. Rhoads. 2012. A systems biology definition for chicken semen quality. Journal of Animal Science. Published online before print October 16, 2012, doi: 10.2527/jas.2012-5681
- D.P. Froman, and D. D. Rhoads. 2012. Validation of a spectrophotometer-based method for estimating daily sperm production and deferent duct transit. Poultry Science 91: 2621-2627.
- D.A. Kanayeva, R. Wang, D. Rhoads, G.F. Erf, M.F. Slavik, S. Tung, Y. Li (2012) Efficient separation and sensitive detection of Listeria monocytogenes using an impedance immunosensor based on magnetic nanoparticles, microfluidic chip and interdigitated microelectrode. Journal of Food Protection 75:1951-1959
- J.R. Burks, and DD Rhoads. (2011) Sequence Analysis of the Angiotensin II Type 1 Receptor (AGTR1) Gene for Mutations Contributing to Pulmonary Hypertension in the Chicken (Gallus gallus). Inquiry 12:49-59
- R.F. Wideman, K.R. Hamal, M.T. Bayona, A.G. Lorenzoni, D. Cross, F. Khajali, D.D. Rhoads, G.F. Erf, and N.B. Anthony. (2011) Plexiform Lesions in the Lungs of Domestic Fowl Selected for Susceptibility to Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension: Incidence and Histology. The Anatomical Record 294:739-755
- D.P. Froman, A.K. Feltmannn, K. Pendarvis, A.M. Cooksey, S.C. Burgess, and D.D. Rhoads. (2011) A proteome-based model for sperm mobility phenotype. Journal of Animal Science 89:1330-1337.
- M. Hester, and D.D. Rhoads. (2009) Intron evolution patterns in multicellular eukaryotes. Inquiry 10:43-48.
- S. Bailes, J. Devers, J.D. Kirby and D.D. Rhoads. (2007) An Inexpensive, Simple Protocol for DNA Isolation from Blood for High Throughput PCR or Restriction Endonuclease-based Genotyping. Poultry Science 86:102-106
- L.C. Overton, and D.D. Rhoads. (2006) Molecular phylogenetic relationships of Xiphidopicus percussus, Melanerpes, and Sphyrapicus (Aves: Picidae) based on cytochrome b sequence. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 41:288-294.
- D.P. Froman, J.D. Kirby, and D.D. Rhoads. (2006) An Expressed Sequence Tag Analysis of the Chicken Reproductive Tract Transcriptome. Poultry Science 85:1438-1441.
- L.C. Overton, and D.D. Rhoads (2004) Molecular phylogenetic relationships based on mitochondrial and nuclear gene sequences for the Todies (Todus: Todidae) of the Caribbean. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 32: 524-538.
- Csiki, C. Lam, A. Key, E. Coulter, J.D. Clark, R.M. Pace III, K.G. Smith, and D. D. Rhoads (2003) Analysis of genetic variation in five black bear populations in Arkansas and Louisiana using microsatellite DNA markers. Journal of Mammalogy 84(2):691-701.
- J.M. Walker and D.D. Rhoads (2003) The Black Racerunner (Cnemidophorous nigricolor Peters, 1873) in Los Roques Archipelago, Venezuela. Herpetological Review 34(2):105-109.
- J.Q. Xia, J.C. Correll, F.N. Lee, W.J. Ross, and D.D. Rhoads (2000) Regional population diversity of Pyricularia grisea in Arkansas and the influence of host selection. Plant Disease 84:877-884.
- Kirby, JD, DP Froman and DD Rhoads (2000) Heritable sperm degeneration in the domestic fowl, pp201-212 in The Testis: From Stem Cell to Sperm Function, E Goldberg, ed., Springer, NY.
- N. Nakamichi, D. Rhoads, J. Hayashi, Y. Kagawa, and T. Matsumura. (1998) Detection, Localization, and Sequence Analyses of Mitochondrial Regulatory Regions RNAs in Several Mammalian Species. Journal of Biochemistry 123:392-398.
- M.R. Stevens, J.W. Scott, P.D. Griffiths, D.K. Heiny and D.D. Rhoads. (1996) A linkage map of the tomato spotted wilt virus resistance gene Sw-5 using near isogenic lines and an interspecific cross. Acta Horticulturae 431:385-392.
- M.R. Stevens, E.M. Lamb, and D.D. Rhoads (1995). Mapping the Sw-5 locus for tomato spotted wilt virus resistance in tomatoes using RAPD and RFLP analyses. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 90:451-456.
- J.C. Correll, D.D. Rhoads, and J.C. Guerber (1993). Examination of mitochondrial DNA restriction fragment length polymorphisms, DNA fingerprints, and randomly amplified polymorphic DNA of Colletotrichum orbiculare. Phytopathology 83:1199-1204.
- J.Q. Xia, J.C. Correll, F.N. Lee, M.A. Marchetti, and D.D. Rhoads (1993). DNA fingerprinting to examine microgeographic variation in the Magnaporthe grisea (Pyricularia grisea) population in two rice fields in Arkansas. Phytopathology 83:1029-1035.
- P.F. Overman, D.D. Rhoads, E.S. Tasheva, M.M. Pyle, and D.J. Roufa (1993). Multiple regulatory elements ensure accurate transcription of a human ribosomal protein gene. Somatic Cell and Molecular Genetics 19(4):347-362
- J.-J. Diaz, D.D. Rhoads, and D.J. Roufa (1991). PCR-mediated chemical (PMC) mutagenesis of cloned duplex DNAs. BioTechniques 11(2):204-211.
- D.D. Rhoads and D.J. Roufa (1991). Molecular evolution of the mammalian ribosomal protein gene RPS14. Mol. Biol. Evol. 8(4):503-514.
- J.-J. Diaz, D.D. Rhoads and D.J. Roufa (1990). Genetic analysis of a vital mammalian housekeeping locus using CHO cells that express a transfected mutant allele. Som. Cell Mol. Genet. 16:517-528
- C.G. Maki, D.D. Rhoads, J.-J. Diaz, and D.J. Roufa (1990). A Drosophila ribosomal protein functions in mammalian cells. Molec. Cell. Biol. 10:4524-4528
- E. Bonfa, A.P. Parnassa, D.D. Rhoads, D.J. Roufa, I.G. Wool, and K.B. Elkon (1989). Anti-ribosomal S10 antibodies in humans and MRL/lpr mice with systemic erythematosus. Arthritis & Rheumatism 32:1252-1261.
- C. Maki, D.D. Rhoads, M.J. Stewart, B. Van Slyke, and D.J. Roufa (1989). The Drosophila melanogaster ribosomal protein S17 gene. Gene 79:289-298.
- S.J. Brown, D.D. Rhoads, M.J. Stewart, B. Van Slyke, I.-T. Chen, T.K. Johnson, R.E. Dennell, and D.J. Roufa (1988). Ribosomal protein S14 is encoded by a pair of highly conserved, adjacent genes on the X chromosome of Drosophila melanogaster. Molecular and Cellular Biology 8:4314-4321.
- D.D. Rhoads and D.J. Roufa (1987). A cloned human ribosomal protein gene functions in rodent cells. Molecular and Cellular Biology 7:3767-3774.
- D.D. Rhoads and D.J. Roufa. Regulated expression of a cloned human ribosomal protein gene in cultured Chinese Hamster cells. In: Advances in Gene Technology: The Molecular Biology of Development. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge (1987).
- I.-T. Chen, A. Dixit, D.D. Rhoads, and D.J. Roufa (1986). Homologous ribosomal proteins in bacteria, yeast and man. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 83:6907-6911.
- D.D. Rhoads, A. Dixit, and D.J. Roufa (1986). Primary structure of human ribosomal protein S14 and the gene that encodes it. Molecular and Cellular Biology 6:2774-2783.
- D.D. Rhoads, and D.J. Roufa (1985). Emetine resistance of Chinese hamster cells: Structures of wild-type and mutant ribosomal protein S14 mRNAs. Molecular and Cellular Biology 5:1655-1659.
- N. Nakamichi, D.D. Rhoads, and D.J. Roufa (1983). The Chinese hamster cell emetine resistance gene: Analysis of cDNA and genomic sequences encoding ribosomal protein S14. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 258:13236-13242.
- D.D. Rhoads, and A. Sarachek (1984). Cellular inactivation and mitotic recombination induced by ultraviolet radiation in aneuploid and euploid strains of Candida albicans. Mycopathologia 87:35-41.
- A. Sarachek, and D.D. Rhoads (1983). Effects of growth temperatures on plating efficiencies and stabilities of heterokaryons of Candida albicans. Mycopathologia 83:87-95.
- A. Sarachek, and D.D. Rhoads (1982). Cold-sensitivity of heterokaryons of Candida albicans. Sabouroudia 20:251-260.
- A. Sarachek, and D.D. Rhoads (1981). Production of heterokaryons of Candida albicans by protoplast fusions: Effects of differences in proportions and regenerative abilities of fusion partners. Current Genetics 4:221-222.
- A. Sarachek, D.D. Rhoads, and R.H. Schwarzhoff (1981). Hybridization of Candida albicans through fusion of protoplasts. Archives of Microbiology 129:1-8.
- A. Sarachek, C.A. Brecher, and D.D. Rhoads (1981). Differentiation of Candida stellatoidea from C. albicans and C. tropicalis by -temperature-dependent growth responses on defined media. Mycopathologia 75:179-189.
2015- University Professor, Dept. of Biological Sciences, University of Arkansas
2006-2015 Professor, Dept. of Biological Sciences, University of Arkansas
2006- Director of Graduate Program in Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Arkansas
1999-2000 Vice-Chair, Dept. of Biological Sciences, University of Arkansas
1998-1999 Chair (interim), Dept. of Biological Sciences, University of Arkansas
1997-1998 Vice-Chair, Dept. of Biological Sciences, University of Arkansas
1996-2006 Assc. Professor, Dept. of Biological Sciences, University of Arkansas
1994- Adjunct appointment Department of Poultry Science, Center of Excellence for Poultry Sciences, University of Arkansas
1990-1996 Asst. Professor, Dept. of Biological Sciences, University of Arkansas
1986-1990 Post-Doctoral Associate with Dr. D.J. Roufa, Division of Biological Sciences, Kansas State Univ.
1981-1986 Pre-Doctoral Student with Dr. D.J. Roufa, Division of Biological Sciences, Kansas State Univ.
Fall 1981 Graduate Research Assistant with Dr. T. Pittenger, Division of Biological Sciences, Kansas State Univ.
1977-1981 Graduate Research Assistant Dr. A.E. Sarachek, Department of Biological Sciences, Wichita State Univ.
2017 Collis R. Geren Award for Faculty commitment to graduate programs
2016 John Imhoff award for faculty research publication. University of Arkansas chapter of Sigma Xi
2012 Academic Advising Council Outstanding Faculty Advisor for University of Arkansas
2012-2016 USDA Multistate Research Project: Genetic Improvement of Poultry- Program Leader
2006-2011 USDA Multistate Research Project: Reproductive Performance of Poultry- Program Secretary
2009 Reviewer USDA Animal Reproduction Panel
2009 Reviewer USDA Genetics and Genomics Panel
2006-present President, University of Arkansas Chapter, Sigma Xi
1996-2006 Reviewer for NIAID Special Emphasis Review Panel.
1993 Visiting Research Scientist, MITI- Research Institute of Innovative Technology for the Earth, Meiji Institute of Health, Odawara City, Japan
1985 H. Henley Haymaker Award for Excellence in Graduate Research, Division of Biological Sciences, Kansas State University
1982-1986 National Cancer Institute predoctoral training grant student, Division of Biological Sciences, Kansas State University
1979 Graduate Student representative to the Graduate School Council, Wichita State University