Poultry immunology with emphasis on: cell-mediated immunity; the etiopathology of autoimmune vitiligo in Smyth line chickens – a model for human vitiligo; the role of the immune system in pulmonary hypertension and in the regression/progression of Rous sarcomas; immunology of chicken skin; nanoparticle bioactivity; nutritional immunomodulation; and, aspects of mucosal immunity.
- POSC/BIOL 5343 Advanced Immunology
- POSC/BIOL 5352L Immunology in the Laboratory
- AFLS 3512H Rotations in Agricultural Laboratory Research
- Ph.D., Immunology, Cornell University, 1988
- M.S., Reproductive Physiology, University of Guelph, Canada, 1983
- B.S., Animal Science, University of Guelph, Canada, 1981
- Associates Degree, Nova Scotia Agricultural College, Canada, 1979
- Shi, F., B.-W. Kong, J. J. Song, J. Y. Lee, R. L. Dienglewicz, and G. F. Erf. 2012. Understanding mechanisms of spontaneous autoimmune vitiligo development in the Smyth line chicken model by transcriptomic microarray analysis of evolving lesions. BMC Immunology 13:18; 1-15.
- Shi, F. and G. F. Erf. 2012. IFN-gamma, IL-21 and IL-10 co-expression in evolving autoimmune vitiligo lesions of Smyth line chickens. J. Invest. Dermatol. 132:642-649.
- Hamal, K. R., G. F. Erf, N. B. Anthony, and R. F. Wideman. Immunohistochemical examination of plexiform like complex vascular lesions in the lungs of broiler chickens selected for susceptibility to pulmonary arterial hypertension. Avian Pathol. 41:211-219.
- Gadde, U., H. D. Chapman, T. R. Rathinam, and G. F. Erf. 2011. Cellular immune responses, chemokines and cytokine profiles in turkey poults following infection with the intestinal parasite Eimeria adenoeides. Poult Sci. 90: 2243-50.
- Erf, G. F. 2010 Animal models. Pages 205-218 in: Vitiligo, Picardo, M and Taieb, A, editors. Springer-Verlag GmbH, Berlin Heidelberg, Germany.
- Hamal, K. R., R. F. Wideman, N. B. Anthony, and G. F. Erf. 2010. Differential gene expression of pro-inflammatory chemokines and cytokines in lungs of ascites-resistant and -susceptible broiler chickens following intravenous cellulose microparticle injection. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 133:250-5.
- Hamal, K. R., R. F. Wideman, N. B. Anthony, and G. F. Erf. 2010. Differential expression of vasoactive mediators in microparticle challenged lungs of chickens that differ in susceptibility to pulmonary arterial hypertension. Am. J. Physiol. Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol. 298:R235-242.
- Bowen, O. T., R. L. Dienglewicz, R. F. Wideman, and G. F. Erf. 2009. Altered monocyte and macrophage numbers in blood and organs of chickens injected i.v. with lipopolysaccharide. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 131:200-210.
- Erf, G. F. 2008. Autoimmune diseases of poultry. Pages 339-358 in: Avian Immunology, Davison F., Kaspers, B., and K. Schat editors. Elsevier, London, San Diego, CA.
- Wideman R. F., M. E. Chapman, K. R. Hamal, O. T. Bowen, G. A. Lorenzoni, G. F. Erf, and N. B. Anthony. 2007. An inadequate pulmonary vascular capacity and susceptibility to pulmonary arterial hypertension in broilers. Poult. Sci. 86:984-98.
- Wick, G., L. Andersson, K. Hala, M. E. Gershwin, C. F. Selmi, G. F. Erf, S. J. Lamont, and R. Sgonc. 2006. Avian models with spontaneous autoimmune diseases. Adv. Immunol. 92:71-117.
- Hamal, K., S. Burgess, I. Pevzner, and G. F. Erf. 2006. Maternal antibody transfer from dams to their egg-yolk, egg-white and chicks in two meat lines of chickens. Poult. Sci. 85:1364-1372.
- Wideman, R. F., Jr., M. E. Chapman, W. Wang, and G. F. Erf. 2004. Immune modulation of the pulmonary hypertensive response to bacterial lipopolysaccharide (LPS, endotoxin) in broilers. Poult. Sci. 83:624-637.
- Erf, G. F. 2004. Avian cell-mediated immunity. Poult. Sci. 83:580-590
- Konjufca, V. K., T. K. Bersi, W. G. Bottje, and G. F. Erf. 2004. Influence of dietary vitamin E on phagocytic functions of macrophages in broilers. Poult. Sci. 83:1530-1534.
- Wang, X., and G. F. Erf. 2003. Melanocyte-specific cell mediated immune response in vitiliginous Smyth line chickens. J. Autoimmun. 21:149-160.
- Wang, W., R. F. Wideman, Jr., M. E. Chapman, T. K. Bersi and G. F. Erf. 2003. Effect of intravenous endotoxin on blood cell profiles of broilers housed in cages and floor litter environments. Poult. Sci. 82:1886-1897.
- Wang X., and G. F. Erf. 2004. Apoptosis in feathers of Smyth line chickens with autoimmune vitiligo. J. Autoimmun. 22: 21-30.
- Erf, G. F., T. K. Bersi, X. Wang, G. P. Sreekumar, and J. R. Smyth, Jr. 2001. Herpesvirus connection in the expression of autoimmune vitiligo in Smyth line chickens. Pigment Cell Res. 14:40-46.
Patents: U.S. Patent No.8,216,551: In vivo system to monitor tissue responses in birds.
- Graduate Teaching and Research Assistant, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada, 1981-1983
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 1983-1986
- Graduate Research Assistant, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 1986-1988
- Assistant Professor, Smith College, Department of Biological Sciences, Northampton, MA, 1988-1994
- Assistant Professor, University of Arkansas, Department of Poultry Science, Fayetteville, AR, 1994-1998
- Director of the Cell-Isolation and Characterization Facility, Poultry Science Center, 1995-present
- Associate Professor, University of Arkansas, Department of Poultry Science, Fayetteville, AR, 1998-2004
- Professor, University of Arkansas, Department of Poultry Science, Fayetteville, AR, 2004-present
- Jack Justus Professor, 2005-2006
- First Holder of the Tyson Endowed Professorship in Avian Immunology, 2006-present