My overall research interest is to understand the dynamic interaction among host cellular events, molecular signaling, intestinal microbiome, and bacterial pathogens during health and disease and to identify signaling pathways and microbiome which attenuate microbe-mediated intestinal diseases in human and poultry. I employ poultry and murine models to dissect the complex interaction. Specifically, my laboratory focuses on the following areas of biomedical and poultry research: (A) Poultry production, microbiome, and C. jejuni transmission and pathogenesis; (B) Microbiome and host cellular and molecular signaling in microbe-induced intestinal diseases such as necrotic enteritis in poultry and human inflammatory bowel diseases.
2007 Ph.D. Animal and Poultry Sciences, Virginia Tech, VA, Blacksburg
2004 MS Animal and Poultry Sciences, Virginia Tech, VA, Blacksburg
1990 BS Poultry Disease Control & Husbandry Southern China Agricultural University, Guangzhou, China
1. Sun, X. and Jobin, C. 2014. Nucleotide-binding oligomerization domain-containing protein 2 controls host response to Campylobacter jejuni in Il10−/- mice. J Infect Dis. 210(7):1145-54. doi: 10.1093. Highlighted as the cover image of this issue.
2. Kanther, M., Tomkovich, S., Sun, X., Grosser, MR., Koo, J., Flynn, EJ. 3rd, Jobin, C., Rawls, JF. 2014. Commensal microbiota stimulate systemic neutrophil migration through induction of Serum amyloid A. Cell Microbiol. doi: 10.1111/cmi.12257.
3. Sun, X. and Uronis, J. 2013. Bacterial mediated gastrointestinal inflammation. Methods Mol Biol. 1031:197-202. doi: 10.1007/978-1-62703-481-4_22
4. Sun, X., Liu, B., Sartor, RB., Jobin, C.. 2013. Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-γ signaling promotes Campylobacter jejuni-induced colitis through neutrophil recruitment in mice. J Immunol. 190(1):357-65. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1201825. Epub 2012 Nov 23. PMCID: PMC3529774 Highlighted as the cover image of this issue.
5. Sun, X. and Jia, Z. 2012. A brief review of biomarkers for preventing and treating cardiovascular diseases. J Cardiovasc Dis Res. 2012 Oct (4):251-4. doi: 10.4103/0975-3583.102688.
6. Sun, X., Threadgill D. and Jobin, C. 2012. Campylobacter jejuni induces colitis through activation of mammalian target of rapamycin signaling pathway. Gastroenterology Jan; 142(1):86-95.e5. Epub 2011 Oct 1. PMCID: PMC3253301
7. Kanther, M., Sun, X., Mühlbauer, M., Mackey, LC., Flynn, EJ 3rd., Bagnat, M., Jobin, C., Rawls, JF. 2011 Microbial colonization induces dynamic temporal and spatial NF-κB responses in gnotobiotic zebrafish. Gastroenterology. Jul;141(1):197-207. Epub 2011 Mar 24. PMCID: PMC3164861
8. Lippert, E., Karrasch, T., Sun, X., Allard, B., Herfarth, H., Threadgill, D., Jobin, C. 2009. Gnotobiotic IL-10-/-; NF-?BEGFP Mice Develop Rapid and Severe Colitis Following Campylobacter jejuni Infection. PLoS ONE 4(10): e7413. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0007413. PMCID: PMC2760752
9. Troche, C., Sun, X., McElroy, A., Remus, J., and Novak, C. 2007. Supplementation of Avizyme 1502 to corn soy-bean meal-wheat diets fed to turkey tom poults: The First Fifty-Six Days of Age. Poult. Sci. 86: 496-502.
10. Sun, X., McElroy, A., Webb Jr, K. E., Sefton, T., and Novak, C. 2005. Broiler performance and intestinal alterations when fed drug-free diets. Poult. Sci. 84: 1294 – 1302.
2016- Assistant Professor, Center of Excellence for Poultry Science, University of Arkansas, AR
2013 - 2016 Research Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
2008-2013 Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Medicine, CGIBD, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC
2002-2007 Graduate Fellow, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
2000-2001 Manager, Shanghai DCH Jiangnanfeng Co. Ltd., Shanghai, China
1990-2000 Manager, Hefei Chia Tai Co. Ltd., Heifei, China
2015 Outstanding Research Award, Department of Medicine, University of Florida
2008 Travel Scholarship for training in inflammatory bowel disease research, Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America
2007 Poster award in Dean's Forum on Health, Food, and Nutrition for research excellence in nutrition research, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Virginia Tech
2004 JAR travel Fellowship for training and research excellence in animal science research, Dept. of Animal and Poultry Sciences, Virginia Tech
2002-2007 Pratt Graduate Fellowship for excellence in graduate study, Dept. of Animal and Poultry Sciences, Virginia Tech