Young Min Kwon
Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food & Life Sciences
- Functional genomics of Salmonella and Campylobacter jejuni to understand the mechanisms of survival and virulence in poultry
- Molecular analysis of poultry microbiomes
- Development of functional probiotics for poultry
- POSC 5873 Molecular Analysis of Foodborne Pathogens, Fall
- POSC 5901 POSC Graduate Seminar, Fall
- Ph.D., Poultry Science, Texas A&M University, 2000
- M.S., Animal Science, Seoul National University, South Korea, 1994
- B.S., Animal Science, Seoul National University, South Korea, 1992
- Calhoun, L. N., and Y. M. Kwon. 2010. The effect of long term propionate adaptation on the stress resistance of Salmonella Enteritidis. J. Appl. Microbiol. 109, 1294-1300.
- Calhoun, L. N., and Y. M. Kwon. 2010. Proteomic analysis of Salmonella enterica serovar Enteritidis following propionate adaptation. BMC Microbiolgy 10, 249.
- Calhoun, L. N. and Y. M. Kwon. 2011. The ferritin-like protein Dps protects Salmonella Enteritidis from the Fenton-mediated killing mechanism of bactericidal antibiotics. Int. J. Antimicrob. Agents 37, 261-265.
- Layton, S. L., M. J. Morgan, K. Cole, Y. M. Kwon, D. J. Donoghue, B. M. Hargis, and N. R. Pumford. 2011. Evaluation of Salmonella-vectored Campylobacter peptide epitopes for reduction of Campylobacter jejuni in broiler chickens. Clin. Vaccine Immunol. 18, 449-454.
- Singh, P., and R. Nayak, and Y. M. Kwon. 2011. Target-enrichment through amplification of hairpin-ligated universal targets for next-generation sequencing analysis. Methods Mol. Biol. 733, 267-278.
- Dawoud, T. M., P. Hererra, I. Hanning, Y. M. Kwon, and S. C. Ricke. 2011. In vitro Invasion of Laying Hen Ovarian Follicles by Salmonella Enteritidis strains. Poultry Science 90, 1134-1137.
- Shivaramaiah, S., J.R. Barta, S.L. Layton, C. Lester, Y.M. Kwon, L.R. Berghman, B.M. Hargis, and G. Tellez. 2010. Development and evaluation of an ?aroA / ?htrA Salmonella enteritidis vector expressing Eimeria maxima TRAP family protein EmTFP250 with CD 154 (CD 40L) as candidate vaccines against coccidiosis in broilers. Int. J. Poult. Sci. 9, 1031-1037.
- Calhoun, L. N., J. N. Kim, Y. Ren, J. J. Song, and Y. M. Kwon. 2011. The DNA-binding protein Dps functions as a global regulator in starved Salmonella enterica serovar Enteritidis during starvation. Int. J. Microbiol. Res. 3, 136-147.
- Singh, P., S.L. Foley, R. Nayak, and Y.M. Kwon. 2012. Multilocus sequence typing of Salmonella strains by high-throughput sequencing of selectively amplified target genes. J. Microbiol. Methods 88, 127-133.
- Khatiwara, A., T. Jiang, S.S. Sung, T. Dawoud, J.N. Kim, D. Bhattacharya, H.B. Kim, S.C. Ricke, and Y.M. Kwon. 2012. Genome scanning for conditionally essential genes in Salmonella. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 78, 3098-3107.
- Kim, B.U., S.W. Kim, Y.H. Hong, M.A. Jeong, Y.S. Ryu, H.C. Park, J.H. Jung, Y.M. Kwon, I.S. Choi, S.S. Lee, C.W. Kim, and K.K. Cho. 2012. Protein expression in pig species Longissimus dorsi muscles among different breeds and growth stages. Journal of Life Science. 22, 713-722.
- Kim, J. N., and Y.M. Kwon. 2013. Genetic and phenotypic characterization of the RyhB regulon in Salmonella Typhimurium. Microbiol. Res. 168, 41-49.
- Singh, P., A. Karimi, K. Devendra, P. W. Waldroup, K. K. Cho, and Y.M. Kwon. 2013. Influence of Penicillin on microbial diversity of the cecal microbiota in broiler chickens. Poultry Science 92, 272-276.
- Singh, P., S. L. Foley, R. Nayak, and Y.M. Kwon. 2013. Massively parallel sequencing of enriched target amplicons for high-resolution genotyping of Salmonella serovars. Molecular & Cellular Probes 27, 80-85.
- Wang, R., J. Zhao, T. Jiang, Y.M. Kwon, H. Lu, P. Jiao, M. Liao, and Y. Li. 2013. Selection and characterization of DNA aptamers for use in detection of avian influenza H5N1. Journal of Virological Methods 189, 362-369.
- Singh, P., and Y.M. Kwon. 2013. Comparative analysis of Campylobacter populations within individual market age broilers using fla gene typing method. Poultry Science 92, 2135-2144.
- Kim, J.N., and Y.M. Kwon. 2013. Identification of Target Transcripts Regulated by Small RNA RyhB Homologs in Salmonella: RyhB-2 regulates motility phenotype. Microbiol. Res. 168, 621-629.
- Kim, J.N., and Y.M. Kwon. 2014. Phenotypic characterization of Salmonella RyhB-1 mutations that modulate target regulation. Current Microbiol. 69, 212-217.
- Dawoud, T., T. Jiang, R. K. Mandal, S.C. Ricke, and Y.M. Kwon. 2014. Improving the efficiency of transposon mutagenesis in Salmonella enteritidis by overcoming host-restriction barriers. Mol. Biotechnol. 56, 1004-1010.
- Wideman Jr., R.F., A. Al-Rubaye, Y.M. Kwon, J. Blankenship, H. Lester, K.N. Mitchell, I.Y. Pevzner, T. Lohrmann, and J. Schleifer. 2015. Prophylactic administration of a combined prebiotic and probiotic, or therapeutic administration of enrofloxacin, to reduce the incidence of bacterial chondronecrosis with osteomyelitis in broilers. Poultry Science 94, 25-36.
- Jiang, T., R.F. Wideman Jr., A. Khatiwara, I. Pevzner, and Y.M. Kwon. 2015. Molecular survey of bacterial communities associated with bacterial chondronecrosis with osteomyelitis (BCO) in broilers. PLOS one, 10(4):e0124403.
- Mandal, R.K., T. Jiang, A.A. Alrubaye, D.D. Rhoads, R.F. Wideman Jr., J. Zhao, I. Pevzner, and Y.M. Kwon. 2016. An investigation into blood microbiota and its potential association with bacterial chondronecrosis with osteomyelitis (BCO) in broilers. Scientific Reports 6:25882 | DOI: 10.1038/srep25882
- Kwon, Y.M., S.C. Ricke, and R.K. Mandal. 2016. Transposon sequencing: methods and expanding applications. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology. 100, 31-43 (invited review)
- Roto, S., Y.M. Kwon, and S.C. Ricke. 2016. Potential Applications of In Ovo Technique for the Optimal Development of the Gastrointestinal Tract and Establishment of its Microbiome in Poultry. Frontiers in Veterinary Science 3:63.
- Faculty member of the Cell and Molecular Biology Program
- Post-doctoral Research at the USDA-ARS at College Station, Texas
- Hy-Line International Research Award, 2008
- Zoetis Fundamental Science Award, 2013