The Department of Poultry Science in the Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food
and Life Sciences at the University of Arkansas offers a Bachelor of Science degree
in Poultry Science. Graduates with this degree receive a broad education in the science
and business of animal agriculture, focusing on poultry. They are prepared to enter
a variety of careers in either the public or private sector and many students are
also ready to apply to a professional school in medicine, dental, pharmaceutical or
the veterinary sciences. Our graduates typically get several job offers upon completion
of their undergraduate studies.
Why Poultry Science?
The poultry industry is a global industry reaching all parts of the world. There are real opportunities for graduates to pursue careers in rural and urban settings on both foreign and domestic soils. In the future, there will be challenges and opportunities; careers related to poultry will be in high demand. We are one of the most industry-supported departments at the University of Arkansas and with this tremendous support comes financial assistance, scholarships, internships, incredible facilities, classrooms and more. A degree in poultry science will open doors for you at the state and national levels as well as throughout the world.
Our Facilities• 112,000-sq-ft. Center of Excellence for Poultry Science building housing laboratories, classrooms, auditorium, test kitchen, sensory panel room and offices including USDA ARS.
• Poultry Health Laboratory boasting the highest biosafety rating (P3) for poultry
in the U.S.
• State-of-the-art Hatchery
• Broiler Breeder Research Farm
• Applied Broiler Research Farm
• State-of-the-art Feed Mill
• 10,000-sq-ft. Pilot Processing Plant
• DNA Sequencing Laboratory
• Central Analytical Laboratory
Our faculty is the best in the world. They are researchers for the Arkansas Agricultural Experiment Station and the Cooperative Extension Service and their innovative research moves right into the classroom. You will have the opportunity to learn from award-winning scientists, and if you are interested, conduct your own undergraduate research. They will treat you like family, not a number.
Our department offers:
• Non-competitive scholarships (if you qualify, you receive funding)
• Top-paid internships
• Interviews with top poultry and allied companies when you are a senior to help secure a top-paying, entry-level position upon graduation.
Career Opportunities with a Poultry Science Degree
• Environmental quality & safety
• Food safety
• Food technology
• Government agencies
• Growout/breeder management
• Live production management
• Poultry health & diseases
• Poultry nutrition
• Product research & development
• Quality control/quality assurance
Post Graduate Options:
• Veterinary medicine
• Graduate school in poultry science
• Other professional schools